For three days now I've tried to log into one of two Chrome computers. One is a Chromebox, the other a laptop running Chrome. Neither one will accept my login using my primary Gmail account, the one I've had since Gmail was created, the one running hundreds of apps, tv's, phones, subscriptions, and documents and thermometers, cameras, garage doors, security lights. When I think of that that one account runs I'm heading back to analog land if I lose it.
So I can't just wipe the account and start over. It has 23 years of emails. I've got 180,188 emails on file the oldest of which is one from the magazine Tricycle in 2002.
I didn't start my company until 2005 but all the info about moving to Texas and starting the company is in there as is the email about ending that same company a dozen years later. And most of the docs surrounding all of it are in the Google Drive that came alongside the account.
But after 3 days of trying various things including actually talking to a Google tech the problem seems insurmountable short of somehow getting full up tech support from an inside Google tech. Which they do not provide for the 'free' accounts. Like I haven't paid for this account a thousand times over.
Meanwhile since I've been using Muse I went ahead and asked it to do some shopping for me. Gave it the parameters (HDMI port and nearly all Chrome use) and asked it to find me a laptop. It did a pretty good job researching and then I put the result into Amazon (Muse does not have access to Amazon) and got what it thought was the best deal for $50 less and free delivery. So, I bought it and it is coming Sunday. By Monday my experiment with Chromebox should be done. Nice while it lasted.
Unless I'm really far off I can use Chrome within Microsoft (or really any OS that accepts Chrome as a browser) with no problems at all. It is a slim possibility that I can even permanently fix the problem and make sure my account is clean once I can get to it. Setting up the laptop and logging into Chrome for the first time with my email account will be exciting. And nerve wracking.
I do have some very nice paper and lots of pens so there are alternatives.
So I can't just wipe the account and start over. It has 23 years of emails. I've got 180,188 emails on file the oldest of which is one from the magazine Tricycle in 2002.
I didn't start my company until 2005 but all the info about moving to Texas and starting the company is in there as is the email about ending that same company a dozen years later. And most of the docs surrounding all of it are in the Google Drive that came alongside the account.
But after 3 days of trying various things including actually talking to a Google tech the problem seems insurmountable short of somehow getting full up tech support from an inside Google tech. Which they do not provide for the 'free' accounts. Like I haven't paid for this account a thousand times over.
Meanwhile since I've been using Muse I went ahead and asked it to do some shopping for me. Gave it the parameters (HDMI port and nearly all Chrome use) and asked it to find me a laptop. It did a pretty good job researching and then I put the result into Amazon (Muse does not have access to Amazon) and got what it thought was the best deal for $50 less and free delivery. So, I bought it and it is coming Sunday. By Monday my experiment with Chromebox should be done. Nice while it lasted.
Unless I'm really far off I can use Chrome within Microsoft (or really any OS that accepts Chrome as a browser) with no problems at all. It is a slim possibility that I can even permanently fix the problem and make sure my account is clean once I can get to it. Setting up the laptop and logging into Chrome for the first time with my email account will be exciting. And nerve wracking.
I do have some very nice paper and lots of pens so there are alternatives.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-30 15:14 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-09-30 16:15 (UTC)I'm sure it's fixable but the people who can actually fix it are not available for people who have accounts like mine. C'est live.
no subject
Date: 2026-09-30 16:34 (UTC)