Yesterday I ended up doing a three or so hour project for the dog shelter. They had an issue with registering dog tracking chips that had been going on without their knowledge since January. They had about 140 chips that needed to be registered with the chip tracker people. Someone had figured out how to drop a list that had the dog/cat name and the chip number. So the job was to cross ref that data, get the owner info, and enter it into the online site so that it was connected. Fortunately they only needed owner name and email. It was a research, cut and paste, enter and cut and paste kind of job.
I decided to ping a volunteer that had recently been helping (a retired high school science teacher) to see is she wanted to divide up the work. She was willing so I collected the data from one database and entered it into a spreadsheet. She took that data and entered it into the chip tracking database online.
She is so much like me. I explained it once and she got it. Then two questions texted during the three or so hours we did the thing and that was it. The next text was 'done'. No chatting, no repeating instructions, nothing. It was really nice. And we did what would have taken the shelter a week or two to accomplish in under four hours. Same day they asked for help.
It is an interesting development. As work inevitibily expands to reach capacity the shelter will no doubt find other such things. As with all non profits they have royally screwed up some stuff and I've been fixing it by myself. Now I've got someone to do it with me we might actually replace people with process and develope some efficiency in what has been a chaotic place. The shelter is about to open a new canine shelter building, a HUGE update to what is currently a pretty depressing and overcrowded dog facility. It will allow them to add something like 40 or 50 dogs.
They do not have a process that does that very well. So maybe we can figure that out. It would be interesting.
The other volunteer is a dog person too. !!
This morning I decided to cut myself off from GLP1. I've reduced my dosage so not it's not much. I can still feel the effects of taking it so stopping may matter. But right now I can still kick it off again, renew the shipments, if I want to. So it is a good time to test. I've plateaued at 185 now for months. I'll gain a couple of pounds then lose 3. Water coming and going. I don't much change my eating habits and I maintained a plateau before I started taking the drug. It was just too high.
I'm still 'overweight' by medical standards but for whatever reason I've always been overweight. I was borderline in the Navy at 180 and my original intent was go get down to 175 which is where I am 'supposed' to be. But I would be lean and not have enough strength to be safe. I need to have sufficient muscle mass and strength for all the stuff, like walking, getting out of a chair, and such. And at 185 I can retain sufficient muscle.
I'm doing the daily 'Lifelone Mobility' program and really have just gotten used to a half hour a day every day no matter what. It won't make me an olympic athlete but I can move, balance well, and maintain enough muscle to play pickleball which is an absolute bargain with so little time involvement.
So we'll see how it goes. I weight myself every morning and have set an upper limit of 190 max or 187 for five days. Either two happen and I'll go back on GLP1.
I've still got my food tracking app, Cronometer, and am used to using it. The process is protein first thing in the day, then some good worthless carbs, and then more protein around lunch and some healthy carbs and then about half a dinner with some balance.
I'm good at boring so doing that every day is not hard for me. We'll see how it hits in a month or two.
I decided to ping a volunteer that had recently been helping (a retired high school science teacher) to see is she wanted to divide up the work. She was willing so I collected the data from one database and entered it into a spreadsheet. She took that data and entered it into the chip tracking database online.
She is so much like me. I explained it once and she got it. Then two questions texted during the three or so hours we did the thing and that was it. The next text was 'done'. No chatting, no repeating instructions, nothing. It was really nice. And we did what would have taken the shelter a week or two to accomplish in under four hours. Same day they asked for help.
It is an interesting development. As work inevitibily expands to reach capacity the shelter will no doubt find other such things. As with all non profits they have royally screwed up some stuff and I've been fixing it by myself. Now I've got someone to do it with me we might actually replace people with process and develope some efficiency in what has been a chaotic place. The shelter is about to open a new canine shelter building, a HUGE update to what is currently a pretty depressing and overcrowded dog facility. It will allow them to add something like 40 or 50 dogs.
They do not have a process that does that very well. So maybe we can figure that out. It would be interesting.
The other volunteer is a dog person too. !!
This morning I decided to cut myself off from GLP1. I've reduced my dosage so not it's not much. I can still feel the effects of taking it so stopping may matter. But right now I can still kick it off again, renew the shipments, if I want to. So it is a good time to test. I've plateaued at 185 now for months. I'll gain a couple of pounds then lose 3. Water coming and going. I don't much change my eating habits and I maintained a plateau before I started taking the drug. It was just too high.
I'm still 'overweight' by medical standards but for whatever reason I've always been overweight. I was borderline in the Navy at 180 and my original intent was go get down to 175 which is where I am 'supposed' to be. But I would be lean and not have enough strength to be safe. I need to have sufficient muscle mass and strength for all the stuff, like walking, getting out of a chair, and such. And at 185 I can retain sufficient muscle.
I'm doing the daily 'Lifelone Mobility' program and really have just gotten used to a half hour a day every day no matter what. It won't make me an olympic athlete but I can move, balance well, and maintain enough muscle to play pickleball which is an absolute bargain with so little time involvement.
So we'll see how it goes. I weight myself every morning and have set an upper limit of 190 max or 187 for five days. Either two happen and I'll go back on GLP1.
I've still got my food tracking app, Cronometer, and am used to using it. The process is protein first thing in the day, then some good worthless carbs, and then more protein around lunch and some healthy carbs and then about half a dinner with some balance.
I'm good at boring so doing that every day is not hard for me. We'll see how it hits in a month or two.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-15 20:53 (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-15 21:01 (UTC)This place is very nice but very disorganized and I keep my boundaries up. Any organization that depends on volunteers and does not have a volunteer minder, organizer, manager, whatever is actually just spinning their wheels. This place is kind of like that so I'm not so emotionally invested as I was with the sanctuary.
Most of the work I do I can do from home which is nice. That and the driving. It is kind of nice to drive to retrieve distressed animals when someone else is paying for the vehicle and the gas.